Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili
An easy to make, flavorful chili made in a slow cooker. Serve on top of cornmeal waffles loaded up with toppings.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound dry black beans picked over and rinsed well
- 1 quart low-salt or unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 poblano chile peppers seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno minced (remove seeds and ribs for milder flavor)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sea salt to taste
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Cornmeal Waffles recipe follows
- Toppings: shredded lettuce shredded cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, cilantro
Place black beans into a slow cooker. Add the onion, poblano chiles, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, garlic cloves, and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or until beans are tender.
Remove the bay leaf. Add the diced tomatoes, lime juice, honey, and sea salt and stir well. Place lid back on slow cooker and cook for another 1-2 hours on HIGH to allow flavors to blend.
To serve, place a cornmeal waffle onto a plate and top with a about 3/4 cup of the chili and top with desired toppings. Serve immediately.