We love candles around our house and I usually have at least one burning at any given time. But with wild animals and the occasional small child running around, I’m always a little worried about the fire hazard aspect. Plus, I can never remember if I blew them out before leaving the house! So that’s why I love wax sachets. If you have never heard of wax sachets, they’re a lot like candles except they don’t burn. Instead they’re just pretty, fragrant bars of wax that make your home look sweet and smell amazing.
To make wax sachets, all you need is wax (I like to use soy wax but you can also use beeswax if you have it), essential oils and some dried herbs or flowers. They’re super easy to make and can be whipped up in an afternoon. Just melt the wax in the microwave or on the stove, pour it into your molds and let cool. Hang them in a window where the sun can warm them and help release the fragrance, or place some on your coffee table, tuck them near an entry way or put a few on your desk. Then sit back and enjoy the relaxing scent without having to worry about burning the house down.
How to Make Essential Oil Wax Sachets
These really couldn’t be easier to make. Here is a basic recipe that you can customize with any herbs and essential oils you choose. Or read on for a few of my favorite flower + oil combinations.
- Fill your aluminum can to the top with wax flakes. Place the can in the center of a small saucepan and pour water in the saucepan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the can.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and keep a watchful eye on the wax until it's completely melted. Continue adding wax until the can is almost full.
- Once the wax has melted, add your essential oils and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the herbs or petals into your silicone molds, then pour in the wax and let it cool slightly. When the wax has just begun to set, sprinkle the remaining herbs on top of the wax and press in.
- When the wax has cooled completely, remove the sachets from your molds. Take a long metal nail and (carefully!) heat it for a couple seconds over an open flame being careful not to burn yourself. Use the nail to melt a small hole through the top of your wax bars (I found it best to start at the back and go through to the front). Thread a piece of string through the hole and tie.
- Hang your sachets around the house or wherever you'd like to enjoy a clean, fresh scent.
Place these in your bedroom where you can enjoy the relaxing scent while you’re falling asleep.
This soft, romantic scent is great for the living room, entryway or anywhere you might host a lot of guests.
This fragrance will help boost your mood and keep you feeling alert, so I like to place a few in my office and around the kitchen.