The t-shirt is probably the most popular, universal piece of clothing there is (next to jeans, of course). And we tend to get very attached to certain t-shirts – whether they remind us of something or someone, or they just make us feel confident somehow. So parting with a t-shirt can be hard – no wonder I still have band t-shirts from high-school! But, instead of storing them in the back of the closet for no good reason, how about repurposing them into something cool? It could be anything – jewelry, decor pieces or just an upgrade in style. Which one of these 50 ways to reuse an old t-shirt would you try?
50 Ways to Reuse Old T-Shirts
1. Sequin heart DIY T-shirt by Hello Glow. If your favorite t-shirt has a stain or a hole, don’t hurry into throwing it out! Mend it with a sparkly sequin trim and it will look better than before.
2. Recycled t-shirt pennant banner by Joyaltee. Decorate the house or garden with a seasonal pennant banner made from an oversized t-shirt.
3. Recycle an old tee into a pillow case by C is for Crafting. An easy as can be solution to keeping your favorite t-shirt without having to actually wear it.
4. DIY crochet cord necklace by Miss Amy Phipps. Using a chunky hoot and some t-shirt yarn, you can crochet anything! Including this cool necklace in your favorite color.
5. Ombre four-strand head wrap by Whistle & Ivy. Start with a white t-shirt and create a fun ombre effect to wear on your head.
6. DIY tie onesie by Hello Glow. A cute idea for Father’s Day is to give a plain baby onesie a makeover with a fun tie made of an old t-shirt (perhaps the father’s).
7. How to make t-shirt pompoms by Recycled Fashion. Pompoms are even chunkier and more fun when they’re made of t-shirt yarn!
8. Shirt into bracelet by Lana Red Studio. A friendship bracelet that’s made of t-shirt strips is chunkier and more fun!
9. No sew hobo bag tutorial by Crafty Gemini. T-shirts have the perfect shape and size to be turned into a bag – and a roomy one too!
10. DIY soy wax candle gift by Hello Glow. Use the fabric from an old tee to nicely wrap up a gift. Tie it with some twine and add a gift tag to make it absolutely lovely.
11. Braided t-shirt rug by My Poppet. Use a bunch of your old t-shirts at once and turn them into a trendy braided rug.
12. Embroidered t-shirt art by Buttons and Paint. A printed t-shirt gets a new life as wall art, with an embroidery hoop and some thread.
13. Shaggy t-shirt pillow by Just Crafty Enough. A super fun and cozy pillow for your couch, that also allows you to reuse the fabric from a basic tee.
14. Braided jersey hair tie by Love Maegan. Your bun will look way more stylish wrapped in a fun t-shirt tie!
15. Tie dye textile wall art by Home-ology. This wall art is made of fringes, which in turn were made from a formerly white t-shirt.
16. Lace shadow printed t-shirt by Nerds and Nomsense. Fading colors or a tiny stain can be a problem, but cover them with lace print and your t-shirt should be just fine (+more stylish).
17. T-shirt dress tutorial by Peek-a-Boo. An unwanted oversized t-shirt can become the cutest toddler dress for your daughter!
18. Two layered gathered lace skirt by Pearls and Scissors. Use a t-shirt as lining for a pretty lace skirt, which is easy to sew and looks great.
19. Tie-dyed t-shirt headbands by The Pretty Life Girls. Three ways to wear old t-shirts as headbands: braided, knotted and twisted.
20. DIY T-Shirt bracelet by Hello Glow. Braid t-shirt strips with chunky beads and make yourself the coolest eco-friendly bracelet/necklace.
21. Off the shoulder t-shirt by Free Series. Turn a regular t-shirt into a trendy, off the shoulder top that you’re gonna wear again and again.
22. How to make a t-shirt cup cozy by Spark & Chemistry. Twist strips of old t-shirt to turn them into the cutest mug cozy you’ve ever seen.
23. Mom + baby sleeping sign by Morning Creativity. Create this adorable sign from different colored t-shirt scraps – and customize to suit your style!
24. Manatee pillow pet by We Lived Happily Ever After. Any kid will love hugging this Manatee pillow pet, and you can make it in no time with the downloadable pattern and easy instructions.
25. DIY lace insert t-shirt by Gina Michele. If you have a tee that doesn’t fit anymore, add some lace to the sides and you’ll be able to wear it again.
26. Refashioned tiger t-shirt by Eat Sleep Make. Turn a regular sized t-shirt into a kid’s t-shirt with this easy tutorial.
27. Father’s Day superhero wipes case by Haberdashery Fun. Wipes can be masculine! If you wrap the case in a masculine t-shirt scrap, that is.
28. Canvas modern art DIY tutorial by Trashy Crafter. It’s hard to believe these cool art pieces are actually made with t-shirts and mod podge!
29. Bohemian fringe necklace by For the Love Of. With an old t-shirt and some scissors, you can make this beautiful boho necklace that will steal the show.
30. DIY recycled shirt bracelet by Hello Glow. Another great bracelet made of braided t-shirt strips, this time with a metallic chain accent.
31. T-shirt to skirt refashion by Second Chances. If you don’t want to wear it as a top, how about as a skirt?
32. T-shirt necklace DIY by Stars for Streetlights. A stylish layered necklace made from straps of different colored t-shirts and different chains.
33. Patchwork shorts from outgrown tees by Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom. If your kid is having a hard time parting with outgrown tees, turn them into pants instead of throwing them out.
34. T-shirt yarn by Nur Noch. A super useful tutorial on how to make continuous t-shirt yarn without sewing or knotting.
35. DIY double t-shirt sun dress by Gina Michele. Turn two mens t-shirts into one stylish dress for yourself!
36. DIY superhero costume by Blitsy Blog. A very easy Halloween costume for the kids: the superhero! This cape is easy to make from a larger t-shirt.
37. Watermelon summer top by One O. Turn a t-shirt into a crop top and make it really fun with potato-stamped watermelon print.
38. Easy tee dress by Francois et Moi. Make a dress starting with a pre-made jersey t-shirt – nice for kids and adults alike.
39. Woven wall hanging by TrashN2Tees. Woven wall art is very trendy these days, and it can easy be done with t-shirt scraps.
40. Reusable dryer sheets by Hello Glow. Use white vinegar and essential oils together with old t-shirt scraps to make these reusable dryer sheets.
41. Neon fringed infinity scarf by Dream a Little Bigger. A neon t-shirt might be too much, but a neon scarf? Just right!
42. DIY cat toy by Kittenhood. The t-shirt you use here can be as old as you want, just as long as you add cat nip to it.
43. Full length dress DIY by Mark Montano. This maxi dress/beach cover-up is made from four t-shirts which were tie-dyed and sewn together.
44. Two in one t-shirt by Oh Everything Handmade. Use up two old t-shirts by combining them in a cool new colorblock one.
45. Braided t-shirt key chain by Crafts by Amanda. An easy way to find your keys is if the key chain is large and colorful enough. This one is made by braiding several colors of t-shirt strips.
46. Upcycled knotted baby hat by Alice & Lois. Those cute knotted baby hats can be sewn very easily, using fabric from an old tee.
47. True blues fringe skirt by I Love To Create. This skirt looks fun and it’s fun to make, by adorning a plain skirt with t-shirt fringes.
48. Tie-dye bustle sundress by The Tiptoe Fairy. Your daughter will this colorful, ruffled dress, and you’ll love getting rid of unwanted tees.
49. DIY twist back top by A Beautiful Mess. Give your t-shirt a new life by cutting off the back and adding twisted jersey strips (from another t-shirt).
50. DIY t-shirt infinity scarf by Hello Glow. Tie-dye an old tee and quickly turn it into an infinity scarf, with no sewing required.6