We’ve already talked about which vitamins are important for beautiful skin, and now it’s time to eat our way there with a delicious salad and lemony detox dressing. This salad is loaded up with vitamins A, C, B, K and E, but more than that, it’s absolutely delicious!
Glowing Skin Salad and Detox Dressing
This salad takes advantage of nature’s skin-clearing super powers to help boost your skin from the inside out. Arugula is rich in cancer-fighting phytochemicals, as well as being a great source of folic acid, vitamins A, C and K.
It has a nice peppery flavor that goes really well here, but it could be substituted with spinach or raw, shredded kale for similar nutritional benefits. Beets and carrots are loaded with antioxidant and phytonutrients to nourish skin and improve cell health.
And avocados are a great source of much-needed healthy fats.
Part of having beautiful skin means getting enough healthy fats into your diet, as well as staying hydrated. The vegetables in this salad have a high water content which makes it extra refreshing and provides hydration as well as good dietary fiber.
Avocado, nuts and seeds add a lot of nutrition in the form of healthy fats and vitamin E. I know that if my skin looks a little tired, it’s time to amp up my intake of bio-available vitamin E through food.
The detox dressing also has avocado or olive oil which is another excellent source of fat and vitamins. The lemon gives the dressing a lot of bright, fresh flavor and doesn’t leave the dressing feeling too oily or heavy. It’s very refreshing with freshly chopped parsley added in.
Eating your way to beautiful skin never tasted so good!
Salad For Glowing Skin + Detox Dressing
For the salad:
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula
- 1 large carrot scrubbed well and shredded
- 1/2 medium beet peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cucumber cut into quarters lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 1 firm ripe avocado diced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons raw shelled pumpkin seeds pepitas
For the detox dressing:
- Juice of 2 lemons strained to remove seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon raw honey
- 1/2 cup avocado or olive oil
- pinch dry mustard powder
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Toss arugula with the shredded and sliced veggies. Sprinkle the nuts and seeds over the top.
To prepare dressing:
- place the lemon juice and honey in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Shake to dissolve the honey.
- Add the oil, mustard powder, salt and pepper.
- Replace lid and shake vigorously until well-combined. Add the parsley and shake again.
- Pour some of the dressing over the salad and gently toss to coat it lightly. (There will be leftover dressing.)
- Serve and pass extra dressing alongside if needed.
Photos by Ana-Maria Stanciu43