My house is full of magazines and pages ripped out of issues from months (or years) ago, creating way too many of the dreaded “piles.” But I dare not get rid of them because occasionally, a page pops up that’s amazingly timely and helpful—like the ad for sweet orange essential oil that I ripped out of a Whole Living magazine two years ago.
The Aura Cacia ad listed a dozen uses for orange oil, which happens to be one of my favorites for its happy scent. It smells just like the fruit and helps me feel more invigorated yet calm at the same time. I also like to include it in many of my blends because it pairs well with most essential oils and adds a sweet note to the blend.
Citrus oils, in general, are great to have on hand, but orange is one of my top picks. It’s super versatile and one of the gentler oils—and it can even be used around kids!
Orange Essential Oil Benefits
Here are just a few of the many benefits of orange essential oil:
Sweet orange essential oil is great for deodorizing unpleasant odors. It can be used by itself, or you can combine it with other deodorizing essential oils to create an air freshening room spray. One of my favorite ways is to pair it with cinnamon and use it when the air in the house needs some freshening up.
Research has shown that orange oil has anxiolytic properties [source]. This is just a fancy way of saying that orange EO may help with feelings of anxiety. This particular study evaluated the effects of orange oil on anxiety levels of women going into labor and found that it did help reduce labor anxiety. So next time you’re feeling a bit tense, you might try grabbing the orange essential oil and sniffing away for a few minutes!
Most people agree that orange essential oil has a “happy” aroma, and there may be a reason for it. An animal study conducted in 2019 found that orange EO had antidepressant-like effects on test animals [source]. This suggests that not only can orange EO be beneficial for feelings of anxiety, but it may also be helpful for times when you’re feeling down in the dumps!
A fascinating emergency department study published in 2017 reported that orange essential oil exhibited pain-relieving effects on patients with fractured limbs [source]. But here’s the kicker—patients weren’t given a topical application of the essential oil—they were simply inhaling it. This is a fantastic example of the benefits of simply inhaling essential oils!
You may already be aware that orange EO has a long history of use against household insects and pests, but did you know that science also supports this? A study published in 2012 found that orange essential oil showed significant activity against the larvae and pupae of houseflies [source]. So if you’ve already been using orange essential oil to rid your house of flies, keep doing what you’re doing!
It should come as no surprise that orange essential oil has antimicrobial properties, just like other essential oils. Studies have found that orange oil exhibits significant activity against viruses, fungi, and bacteria [source], making it a great option to have on hand for cleaning and purifying your home. Hint: it’s great for cleansing and purifying your body as well!
Just remember that the above properties are by no means the extent of the benefits of orange essential oil. For instance, many find orange EO to be an aphrodisiac and enjoy wearing it as a perfume. Additionally, many individuals like to use it in anti-inflammatory preparations. My point is, essential oils speak to each of us differently. Feel free to think outside the box and see what your favorite uses for orange essential oil are!
Below, we’ve added a few of our own favorite ways and smart uses for this amazing oil to showcase its many health benefits.
21 Uses for Orange Essential Oil
1. Inhale for a quick pick-me-up to start your day
2. Place 1–2 drops on stubborn tile stains. Wipe away after 2 minutes.
3. Combine 12 drops with 1/4 cup Dead Sea salts for a spa-quality bath.
4. Combine 24 drops in a bucket of soapy water. Purify nursery pots and flats.
5. Place drops on air vents to freshen a room.
6. Diffuse in a room to cheer up cranky kids (and parents!).
7. Combine 24 drops with 4 ounces of water. Shake well and spray on houseplants to discourage pests.
8. Use 1–2 drops to lift grease or glue from surfaces.
9. Combine 12 drops with 1/4 cup Castile soap and water. Wipe down household surfaces.
10. Place several drops in indoor garbage cans to improve scent and discourage bugs.
11. Combine 12 drops with 1/4 cup salt. Rub on cutting boards and rinse with hot water to purify.
12. Use it with kosher salt as homemade fabric softener crystals.
13. Make a natural pest deterrent spray by combining 5 drops of essential oil, 5 drops of liquid soap, and 1 quart of water. Spray on doorways or anywhere you see ants.
14. Add 12 drops to 1 tablespoon vodka and 6 tablespoons of water for an energizing kitchen air freshener spray.
15. Add a few drops into your body scrub and feel refreshed and awake as you step out of the shower each day.
16. Add 10 drops to a natural floor cleaner to make the whole house smell fresh.
17. Combine it with jojoba oil and vodka to make your own perfume.
18. Add 2 drops to a cotton ball and dab lightly on a blemish.
19. Mix 2–3 drops with 1 ounce of almond oil and massage into skin to moisturize and support skin health.
20. Add 2–3 drops to a bowl of hot water for a steam inhalation.
21. Place 2–3 drops in a glass of water, then swish and spit to cleanse the mouth.
This article was medically reviewed by Dr. Gina Jansheski, a licensed, board-certified physician who has been practicing for more than 20 years. Learn more about Hello Glow’s medical reviewers here. As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor.179