My house is full of magazines and pages ripped from issues months (or years) ago, creating way too many of the dreaded ‘piles.’ But I dare not get rid of them because occasionally a page pops up that’s amazingly timely and helpful. Like the ad for sweet orange essential oil that I ripped out of a Whole Living magazine two years ago.
The Aura Cacia ad listed a dozen uses for orange oil, one of my favorites for its happy scent. It’s naturally anti-inflammatory and antiseptic, and it’s an antidepressant and aphrodisiac! We added a few of our own smart uses for this amazing oil to showcase its many health benefits.
1. Inhale for a quick pick-me-up to start your day
2. Place 1-2 drops on stubborn tile stains. Wipe away after 2 minutes.
3. Combine 12 drops with 1/4 cup Dead Sea salts for a spa-quality bath.
4. Combine 24 drops in a bucket of soapy water. Purify nursery pots and flats.
5. Place drops on air vents to freshen a room.
6. Diffuse in a room to cheer up cranky kids.
7. Combine 24 drops with 4 ounces water. Shake well and spray on houseplants to discourage pests.
8. Use 1-2 drops to lift grease or glue from surfaces.
9. Combine 12 drops with 1/4 cup castile soap and water. Wipe down household surfaces.
10. Place several drops in indoor garbage cans to improve scent and discourage bugs.
11. Combine 12 drops with 1/4 cup salt. Rub on cutting boards and rinse with hot water to purify.
12. Use with kosher salt as homemade fabric softener crystals.
13. Make a natural spider deterrent spray by combining 5 drops essential oil, 5 drops soap and 1 quart water.
14. Add 12 drops to 1 tablespoon vodka and 6 tablespoons water for an energizing kitchen spray.
15. Add a few drops into your body scrub and feel refreshed and awake as you step out of the shower each day.
16. Add 10 drops to a natural floor cleaner to make the whole house smell fresh.
17. Combine with jojoba oil and vodka to make your own perfume.
18. Add 2 drops to a cotton ball and dab lightly on a blemish.
19. Mix 2-3 drops with 1 ounce of almond oil and massage into skin to fight cellulite.
20. Add 2-3 drops to a bowl of hot water for a steam inhalation to help colds and coughs.
21. Place 2-3 drops in a glass of water, then swish and spit to treat gingivitis and mouth ulcers.38