I have been eating keto for almost a full year. I still absolutely love it, but I can see how it could be difficult if you're cooking for an entire family.
Those difficulties tend to surround dinner, especially if you're not someone who cooks different meals for everyone in your house (and it would be much easier if your entire family were open to eating mainly keto dinners).
The trick is finding keto dinner recipes that appeal to the entire family. Dinners that will be so satisfying, vibrant, and delicious that your family won't even realize the carbs aren't there.
Italian Chicken and Veggie Foil Packets
Enter Easy Keto Dinners by Carolyn Ketchum. This cookbook will become your go-to when you need some quick keto inspiration at 3:00 in the afternoon.
There are many keto cookbooks on the market now, and a lot of them are incredible. But what I love about Carolyn's book is its accessibility. Carolyn knows how to write easy-to-follow, low-carb recipes full of flavor and color.
These are recipes that your entire family can get behind.
Take, for instance, these Italian Chicken & Veggie Foil Packets. This is an awesome spring or summer dinner that can be prepped in about 15 minutes before popping it into the oven. Kids will love that they each get their own little packet filled with herbed vegetables and tender chicken!
Carolyn mentions that this is a great recipe to use vegetables right from your own garden. Now, I don't claim to be a master gardener, but I do love going to the farmer's market and stocking up on gorgeous veggies to use throughout the week in recipes just like these foil packets.
If you have a little more time on your hands, Easy Keto Dinners has a great variety of slow-cooker recipes. Plus, it has an entire section on how to stock your pantry, fridge, and freezer with keto-friendly staples.
Whether you are an old keto-pro, a newbie, or just looking for some low-carb options, definitely give these Italian Chicken & Veggie Foil Packets a try. And if you're a lover of Italian food, you might want to try this pesto pasta with zucchini and mozzarella, too!
As soon as the weather warms up, I'll be trying these packets out on the grill! The possibilities are endless.
Interested in more keto recipe ideas? Check out some of our favorite keto breakfast recipes and these yummy keto snack ideas that you can enjoy on the go!
Purchase Easy Keto Dinners by Carolyn Ketchum on Amazon or wherever cookbooks are sold.
Ketogenic Meals FAQ
What does it mean to eat keto?
The term keto is short for ketogenic, which refers to a diet low in carbohydrates but high in protein. The idea behind eating keto is to switch your body into a state of ketosis in which it burns fat as fuel instead of carbohydrates or sugar.
If you're interested in trying a keto diet, be sure to discuss it with your doctor first to find out if it's safe and appropriate for you
What kinds of foods should you try to avoid on keto?
When you're switching to a low-carb or keto diet, you may be looking to cut out bread and starches. But what about fruits and veggies that are also high-carb or starchy?
Vegetables like peas are quite starchy, so you can opt for more non-starchy green vegetables like broccoli, zucchini, or spinach. Compared to other fruits, bananas tend to be high in carbs, so you may want to opt for berries instead. Raspberries, in particular, are absolutely packed with fiber, making them an ideal substitute.
Can I try keto if I don't eat dairy products?
Yes, especially if you focus on getting your fats from other sources like nuts (and nut butters) and olive, coconut, and avocado products. But, as mentioned above, you should always check with your doctor before starting any new diet to make sure it’s healthy for you.
Italian Chicken & Veggie Foil Packets
- Aluminum foil
- Large bowl
- Baking sheet
- 1-¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium zucchini sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 medium tomato cut into large chunks
- ¼ cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut 4 pieces of aluminum foil each about 12 inches square.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, zucchini, bell pepper, green beans, tomato, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Drizzle the oil, then sprinkle with the rosemary, salt, oregano, and pepper. Toss to combine well.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the pieces of foil, arranging it down the center of each piece. Bring up the two sides of the foil and fold over together twice to seal. Fold up the ends tightly.
- Place the packets on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the packets, and open the top seams. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if using. Eat directly from the packets or transfer to plates.
This article was medically reviewed by Dr. Gina Jansheski, a licensed, board-certified physician who has been practicing for more than 20 years. Learn more about Hello Glow's medical reviewers here. As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor.148