What I love even more than world cuisine is mixing cuisines together to create a completely new flavor. In this recipe I chose to combine Asian and Greek flavors to meld the best of both worlds together in the form of chicken lettuce wraps. An Asian-inspired marinade makes for moist chicken, which you can just toss on the grill. An easy Greek-inspired tzatziki dip comes together in minutes. It’s all combined using romaine lettuce as a wrap, plus cool cucumbers and nutty sesame seeds as a garnish.
When I made these wraps for my family, my husband said he could eat them every day (the ultimate compliment). My kids also ate them so fast that I was left with just a half a wrap, wishing I would have doubled the recipe. Even my 2-year-old ate the chicken with tzatziki and declared it “yummy!” We will definitely be adding this one into our weekly dinner rotation for the summer!
You can serve the chicken over salad instead of in a wrap, or even eat the kebabs on their own with the tzatziki as a dip for the meat. Personally, I love the idea of using the lettuce for a wrap as it ensures my kids get some more veggies, and it makes it the perfect summer outdoor meal.
Ginger Tzatziki Chicken Wrap
Yield 4 -5
- For the Marinated Chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts or 8 chicken thighs, cut up in chunks
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- For the Tzatziki:
- 1/4 cup finely diced cucumbers
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- Also needed:
- Whole romaine lettuce leaves, about 8-10
- Sliced cucumbers, about 30 slices
- Combine soy sauce, ginger, olive oil, and pepper in a bowl. Toss with chicken, cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
- While chicken is marinating, immerse bamboo skewers in water to soak to lessen the chance of burning the skewers when on the grill.
- Finely dice 1/4 cup cucumbers.
- Combine diced cucumbers with garlic, dill, salt, pepper, and yogurt. Stir gently to combine. Place in fridge until time to serve.
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Slide approximately 5-7 pieces of chicken onto each skewer and place on the grill. The olive oil in the marinade eliminates the need to oil grill.
- Cook for 5 minutes each side, until chicken is cooked through.
- Arrange romaine leaves on a plate, top with sliced cucumbers, chicken, and tzatziki. Finally, garnish with sesame seeds.
- After serving, use a fork to remove skewer from the chicken.
Courses Lettuce Wrap
Cuisine Greek and Asian Inspired