The smell of pumpkin spice is in the air! I’ve been experimenting with a new warming diffuser, trying out different essential oil blends for fall. I love how the spicy scents of ginger, clove and cinnamon make the house feel warm and cozy while the woodsy notes of fir and juniper remind me of a walk through the leaves.
Be warned, spice oils like clove and cinnamon oils are strong! They will easily overpower other scents and can even irritate the mucous membranes. Citrus scents go well with the spicier ones, so I like to start with a base of orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit or bergamot and then add a drop or two of a spicier oil like cinnamon, clove, myrrh or nutmeg.
Use these four categories to mix and match oils to make homemade air fresheners that will make your home smell like fall.
Anise seed, Black pepper, Cardamom, Cassia, Cinnamon bark, Cinnamon leaf, Clove bud, Coffee, Nutmeg, Sage
Fennel seed, Frankincense, Fresh ginger, Myrrh, Patchouli, Vetiver
Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime peel, Mandarin orange, Sweet orange, Palmarosa, Petitgrain, Tangerine
Cedarwood, Cypress, Fir needle, Juniper berry, Rosemary, Scotch pine, Black spruce
5 Autumn Essential Oil Diffuser Blends
Check the instructions of your diffuser before blending. You might need more or less essential oil based on its size. And if you don’t have all of the oils listed, don’t fret. Try substituting something in the same family (grapefruit for orange, for example) or just pick another scent like you like. And to make sure you’re using essential oils safely, I like these guidelines from AromaWeb.
This one is simple and uplifting. Citrus always energizes me and boosts my mood.
The next best thing to my favorite latte! Vanilla is such a soothing scent and it pairs well with cinnamon and clove. Add a drop of nutmeg if you have it.
- 2 drops of Orange Essential Oil
- 1 drops of Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 1 drop of Clove Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Vanilla Essential Oil
If I ever get around to making a fall wreath I want it to smell like this. Peppermint and eucalyptus are my essential oil go-to’s.
- 3 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Pine or Fir Essential Oil
- 1 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 1 drop of Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
Stroll thru the Orchard
Ready for a walk in the woods? I’m new to the slightly more exotic scents of frankincense and bergamot, but they go well with the coniferous oils.
- 3 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 3 drops Fir Essential Oil
- 2 drops Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- 2 drops Bergamot Essential Oil
I have a blend called On Guard from DoTerra that contains these essential oils. It’s a perfect immunity booster and air purifier when everyone starts coughing and sneezing.
- 2 drops Orange Essential Oil
- 2 drops Clove Essential Oil
- 2 drops Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 2 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 2 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
My new favorite fall scent is coffee! Diffusing a ‘peppermint latte‘ (coffee, peppermint, vanilla) makes me feel like I’m working from my local Starbucks. Here are few other scents to pair with coffee:
- Coffee and Vanilla
- Coffee, Ginger and Black Pepper
- Bergamot, Ginger, Coffee
- Coffee, Black Pepper, Clove, Cardamom
What’s your favorite scent for fall?609