While we know our bodies are pretty good at detoxing themselves, sometimes you need a day or two—or even just a single meal—to give yourself a reset. I don’t know about you, but after a weekend out-of-town and more than a few dinners out, I find myself craving fresh greens, clean proteins, and lots of veggies. When dinnertime rolls around, follow these easy, fuss-free steps for a detox dinner that’s easy on your digestive system and supports your body’s ability to detox. Mix and match proteins, grains, spices and veggies throughout the week to mix things up!
Detox Meal Tips
- All you need for a detox meal is a healthy protein, vegetables, and a healthy fat. This can be as simple as half an avocado and some grilled chicken on a bed of greens.
- Adding salsa, hot sauce, wheat-free tamari, tahini, garlic, or other healthy condiments can make any food taste fabulous.
- Explore the take-out options at local restaurants and health food stores, or even detox delivery services if they’re available in your area.
- Take a look at the ready-made protein options offered at your local supermarket, and have some on hand in the fridge.
- Look at detox-friendly soup recipes to see which ones you can make large batches of to freeze.
- Chop veggies and salad greens to have ready to go in the refrigerator. Keep your favorite dressing from the recipes in a mason jar in the fridge, or toss together a simple dressing of olive oil, lemon, and raw apple cider vinegar.
Two easy reset dinners you can make over and over? Meal bowls and salads. Here’s how:
Easy Detox Meal Bowl Formula
- Start with a stainless steel pan (I like All-Clad, but any real stainless steel or non-stick pan is fine).
- Take 1 tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil, and allow it to sit in the pan for a minute over high heat to warm up or, in the case of coconut oil, until it melts.
- Add your preferred vegetables first, allowing them time to soften (one to two minutes), then add some garlic and ginger until softened (about one minute), watching carefully so the garlic doesn’t burn. Once the veggies, garlic, and ginger are soft and stirred together, set them aside on a plate to keep warm.
- Then add a protein to your pan and a little more oil if you need it. Once your protein is in the pan, add a pinch of sea salt and pepper to taste. Protein generally cooks in about 6-8 minutes. Try not to overcook it, but always respect the proper temperature guidelines for meat and poultry.
- Add your veggies back in to warm and voilà, you have a fabulous, healthy meal!
Easy Detox Salad Formula
- Start with 2 cups mixed greens
- Add your choice of protein (think grilled chicken, beans or tempeh)
- Add 1/2 cup choice of a low-GI grain, such as brown rice, buckwheat, millet, quinoa, or amaranth (optional)
- Then add shredded/chopped raw or cooked vegetables
- Top with your choice of non-creamy dressing or the juice of one lemon
- Add 2 tablespoons healthy fat, such as sunflower seeds or half an avocado
- Put your salad in the refrigerator for the next day (with the dressing stored separately), and then you’ll have it ready to take to work or for dinner when you get home.
9 Detox Dinner Recipes
These detox dinners will help you get back-on-track if you’ve been overdoing it in the food department, but don’t be mistaken: they’re also completely satisfying meals, too.
1. Detox Zucchini Noodles with Cilantro Pesto from Hello Glow
Zucchini noodles! You can use them as a base for all kinds of detox dinners, but we love them paired with this homemade cilantro pesto.
2. Kale Detox Salad with Pesto from Well and Full
Heaps of roasted veggies and crispy chickpeas make this salad super filling, while the brightly flavored carrot top pesto helps the body cleanse itself.
3. Detox Taco Wraps with Pumpkin Seed Pate from Hello Glow
A pumpkin seed pate adds flavor and protein to these crispy, refreshing detox tacos.
4. Detox Rainbow Roll-Ups with Peanut Sauce from Pinch of Yum
Oh, hello gorgeous rainbow veggie wraps! Customize these with your favorite fillings, but don’t skip the honey-sweetened peanut sauce.
5. Comforting Cashew Curry from Hello Glow
6. Cauliflower Falafel Power Bowl from Hello Veggie
7. Cauliflower Baked Ziti from Hello Glow
8. Roasted Cauliflower Detox Bowl with Tahini Sauce from Lauren Caris Cooks
This bowl is brimming with good-for-you ingredients like quinoa, fresh greens, cauliflower, and lots of healthy fats thanks to avocado and cashews.
9. Deconstructed Sushi Bowl from Hello Glow