I like to take time enjoying my breakfasts, but when in a hurry I turn to quick smoothies and toasts. It's very easy to throw a bit of cheese, butter, and ham in your toaster, but if you want to put together a really nourishing and detoxifying breakfast on the run, these 3 ingredients are just what the body needs:
Superfood Avocado Toast
1. Ripe avocado gives you a healthy dose of monounsaturated fats to feed your body's cell membranes. It also provides essential minerals like magnesium, which regulates the healthy exchanges of nutrients within the cell. More awesomeness about ripe avocado? Its fats act as a catalyst for the absorption of antioxidants. Win-win!
2. Free-range eggs contain all the nutrients your body needs to kick-start the day, especially protein, antioxidants, vitamin D, and vitamin B12. It's one of the most complete foods and pairs well with avocado and bread.
3. Good quality bread - your toast provides your body's nutritional needs when it's made from whole ingredients. A good quality whole wheat, rye, or gluten-free bread (buckwheat is a great choice) will give your digestive system a nice dose of fiber and minerals to cleanse and help it eliminate toxins first thing in the morning.
And when I really want to get my breakfast toast to the next level, I make a superfood tapenade to give it a taste twist and an extra detox boost. It is very easy to make, and you can prepare batches to keep in the refrigerator.
Superfood Kale Tapenade, Avocado, and Egg Toast
- 2 free range eggs, poached
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons superfood tapenade
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Good quality whole wheat, rye, or gluten-free toast
For the tapenade
- 1 cup fresh kale leaves
- ½ cup green pitted olives
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds
- ½ teaspoon spirulina
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch sea salt
- Drizzle the toasts with tahini sauce, then add the avocado slices and top with the poached egg.
- Place the tapenade ingredients into the blender, pulse twice, and then transfer the mixture into an airtight jar.
- Add a tablespoon of superfood tapenade on top of the toast, garnish with pumpkin and chia seeds, then serve.