We’ve all heard about juice cleanses, but not everyone has heard about another hot health trend – the soup cleanse. Soup cleanses are fantastic for long winter months when our bodies could use a warm boost of energy.
Unlike fruit juice cleanses, veggie soup cleanses are typically lower on the glycemic scale. This soup cleanse plan is packed with veggies that contain fiber and nutrients to help maintain weight during pre- and post-overindulgence. They’re also jam-packed with immunity boosting antioxidants.
5 Recipes for a 24-Hour Soup Cleanse
To make the soups, you’ll need a high-speed blender. I also recommend purchasing glass Mason jars for storage, and also making all your soups in the morning so a busy day doesn’t ruin your plans. And when shopping for ingredients, choose organic whenever possible, and be sure to stock up on lots of water and herbal tea for maximum hydration.
Here are five recipes for breakfast, a morning snack, lunch, an afternoon snack and dinner. If breakfast, lunch and dinner fill you up, the morning and afternoon snacks are optional. Note that the Bone Broth recipe will take 24 hours to make, so plan to make this recipe the day before your cleanse. For an evening snack, drink herbal tea.
Glowing Greens Soup
Creamy Kale Soup
- Blend using a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Top with hemp seeds and dulse flakes.
Chicken Bone Broth Soup
- 3-5 pounds of soup bones
- Water (enough to cover the bones)
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
*Note: Talk to your local butcher shop. Soup bones are usually very cheap, if not free!
MAKE YOUR STOCK. In a stock pot, add the soup bones and enough water to cover. Add apple cider vinegar. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for 24+ hours.
STORE YOUR STOCK. After about 24 hours, strain the stock into mason jars. Set them in the fridge to cool. Skim off the fat that rises to the top, and close tightly with a lid, or put in ice cube trays for quick use.
This will keep in the fridge for a few days, or for four to six months in the freezer.
Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 4 large carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 can organic coconut milk BPA-free can
- 1 bunch parsley chopped (garnish)
- ROAST THE VEGETABLES. Heat your oven to 350°F. Take your chopped butternut squash and carrots and massage with coconut oil, cumin, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bake on a cookie sheet for 20 to 25 minutes until tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- ASSEMBLE THE SOUP. Add the vegetable broth and coconut milk to a large pot and mix together thoroughly. Add the cooled, roasted vegetables to a high-speed blender in batches with just enough broth/coconut milk mixture to cover. Blend until smooth. Add it back to the soup pot and set it on medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Top with chopped parsley.
Photos by Ana Stanciu7