I’m always amazed at how good it feels to pamper your skin. This discovery was followed shortly by the realization that I can’t afford salon facials – or fancy beauty products! Whether it’s using Kool-Aid to brighten blonde, making your own rose petal body oil, or making a turmeric mask for skincare I’m all about easy, budget-friendly ideas for looking your best. First up, a glowing skin turmeric face mask!
I read recently that actress Thandie Newton recently called turmeric her “secret beauty weapon.” Isn’t that just for curry? Nope! (Although it is fantastic for healing inflammation from the inside out – here are some of our favorite anti-inflammatory turmeric recipes.)
Not only does this spice have amazing healing properties (my mom is taking it as a supplement because there is evidence it kills cancer cells) but it’s also a great beauty product. Turns out Indian brides have long used turmeric as a head-to-toe body scrub and face mask to brighten skin before their weddings.
Turmeric beauty benefits
- Turmeric is high in antioxidants that slow down cell damage.
- It’s widely used as a skin exfoliant and improves skin’s texture.
- It helps with inflammatory skin conditions, such as acne, dry skin, psoriasis and eczema.
- It helps reduce pigmentation and even out the skin tone.
- It is also said to diminish wrinkles.
DIY Turmeric Mask
Make your own turmeric face mask
1. Mix flour, turmeric, honey and milk to make a paste
- 2 tablespoons of flour. You can use regular flour, rice flour or ground oats if your skin is dry.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons milk. You can also use yogurt to fight acne.
- A few drops of honey (any kind will work, but manuka is especially good for acne)
2. Apply a thin layer to your face and let it dry for 20 minutes
3. Rinse off in the shower, scrubbing gently to remove.
4. Apply your favorite moisturizer.
Will a turmeric mask stain my face?
Lots of folks worried that the Kool-Aid would turn their hair purple, so I want to assure you that this turmeric mask won’t turn your face yellow or orange. But I definitely recommend a thin layer – the more you pile on the greater your chances of staining, especially on your neck where skin is thinner. I noticed some staining on my hands but it came off easily. You can always wash your face again after showering.
Your kids/husband might find this mask a little disconcerting so it’s also a good idea to do this when you have some alone time! I was going to take a picture with it on, but it was just too frightening.
P.S. Here are our 5 favorite turmeric recipes for beauty! Have fun and enjoy your glow! Or if you’re not ready to DIY, here are some of our favorite turmeric-based beauty products to buy: