I’m always amazed at how good it feels to pamper your skin. This discovery was followed shortly by the realization that I can’t afford salon facials – or fancy beauty products! Whether it’s using Kool-Aid to brighten blonde, making your own rose petal body oil, or making a turmeric mask for skincare I’m all about easy, budget-friendly ideas for looking your best. First up, a glowing skin turmeric face mask!
I read recently that actress Thandie Newton recently called turmeric her “secret beauty weapon.” Isn’t that just for curry? Nope!
Not only does this spice have amazing healing properties (my mom is taking it as a supplement because there is evidence it kills cancer cells) but it’s also a great beauty product. Turns out Indian brides have long used turmeric as a head-to-toe body scrub and face mask to brighten skin before their weddings.
Turmeric beauty benefits
- Turmeric is high in antioxidants that slow down cell damage.
- It’s widely used as a skin exfoliant and improves skin’s texture.
- It helps with inflammatory skin conditions, such as acne, dry skin, psoriasis and eczema.
- It helps reduce pigmentation and even out the skin tone.
- It is also said to diminish wrinkles.
DIY Turmeric Mask
Make your own turmeric face mask
1. Mix flour, turmeric, honey and milk to make a paste
- 2 tablespoons of flour. You can use regular flour, rice flour or ground oats if your skin is dry.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons milk. You can also use yogurt to fight acne.
- A few drops of honey
2. Apply a thin layer to your face and let it dry for 20 minutes
3. Rinse off in the shower, scrubbing gently to remove.
4. Apply your favorite moisturizer.
Will it stain my face?
Lots of folks worried that the Kool-Aid would turn their hair purple, so I want to assure you that this won’t turn your face yellow or orange. But I definitely recommend a thin layer – the more you pile on the greater your chances of staining, especially on your neck where skin is thinner. I noticed some staining on my hands but it came off easily. You can always wash your face again after showering.
Your kids/husband might find this mask a little disconcerting so it’s also a good idea to do this when you have some alone time! I was going to take a picture with it on, but it was just too frightening.
P.S. Here are our 5 favorite turmeric recipes for beauty! Have fun and enjoy your glow! Or if you’re not ready to DIY, here are some of our favorite turmeric-based beauty products to shop: