I’m a big fan of do-it-yourself shower scrubs. They’re fast, easy to make and leave you with a delightful pampered feeling. Plus you’ll save a ton of money making your own homemade recipes.
What I’m not a big fan of? Planning ahead. So it’s usually when I’m getting dressed and applying lotion after my shower that I realize, holy mackerel, exfoliation needed, stat!
Enter sugar scrub cubes. This is genius, folks. These perfect problem solvers are perfect for cleaning and exfoliating!
How to make sugar scrub cubes
The benefits of these little cubes?
- You can whip them up whenever the scrub-making urge strikes.
- They aren’t all gloopy and gooey.
- They’re portioned out to just the right size.
Love!! You want to make your own now, right? Here’s how!
The ingredients you will need:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or any other oil of choice)
- 1 cup of sugar (white or brown)
- 1/2 cup of unscented soap, grated
- Mixing bowl & spoon
- Optional add-ins for scent
- Ice cube tray or other mold
How to make sugar scrub cubes
1. Mix the oil and grated soap together in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Microwave on high for 10 second intervals, stirring in between each. Continue until the soap is melted into the oil.
3. Add in optional scents or other ingredients and stir.
4. Quickly move mixture to a mold and let firm up (putting it in the freezer helps).
How to use sugar scrub cubes
You can use fun molds (like this spider and web one last seen in our Halloween bath bombs). When the scrub is firm, pop them out of the mold and cut into small cube shapes.
Keep them in a covered container until ready to use (otherwise they will dry out and crumble). Then take a couple of cubes into the shower and crush them a bit in your hand under the water. Then scrub away!
The optional stuff is my favorite part. Here are three fall flavors we tried out.
Maple and Brown Sugar Scrub Cubes
Maple and brown sugar is a combo that always makes the think of fall (okay, oatmeal too). For this flavor, replace the white sugar with one cup of brown sugar and add one to two tablespoons of maple syrup.
Vanilla Coffee Sugar Scrub Cubes
Who doesn’t want a warming coffee beverage on a cool fall morning? Before you drink that cup o’ joe use this vanilla coffee scrub to energize in the shower. Coffee is great for cellulite so mix in 1/4 cup of coffee grounds and one to two tablespoons of vanilla extract.
Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub Cubes
We couldn’t not do a pumpkin version! Add one to two tablespoons of skin soothing honey along with a heaping teaspoon of pumpkin spice. Get your PSL fix without the sugar overload and buff off dry, dead skin at the same time.
How to Make Sugar Scrub Cubes
- Microwave safe bowl
- Ice cube tray or silicone mold
- Mix the oil and grated soap together in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 10 second intervals, stirring in between each. Continue until the soap is melted into the oil.
- Add in optional scents or other ingredients and stir.
- Quickly move mixture to a mold and let firm up (putting it in the freezer helps).
This post was medically reviewed by Dr. Rina Mary Allawh, M.D., a dermatologist who performs adult and pediatric medical dermatology, skin cancer treatment and cosmetic dermatology. Learn more about Hello Glow’s medical reviewers here. As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor.420