Flipping through a magazine recently I spotted a gorgeous sugar scrub – for $40! Gulp. That seems a bit high for what’s basically just 8 ounces of sugar and oil. Turns out it’s uber easy to make your own sugar scrub. And bonus: it’s cheap. Just follow this basic homemade sugar scrub recipe and add in whatever sounds good to you.
Exfoliation has never been top of mind in my beauty regimen until a recent facial made me a convert. Now I try to regularly add cleansing grains to my cleanser or use one of these gentle face scrubs. But legs, elbows and bums don’t get as much attention. The fastest route to soft, smooth skin is a super simple sugar scrub. Trust me, your skin will feel amazing after using this!
Basic Sugar Scrub Recipe
- 1 cup sugar – you can use regular sugar, brown sugar or cane sugar. Epsom or sea salt will also work but I find they can be a bit harsh, especially if your skin is sensitive.
- 1/2 cup oil – again, pretty much any kind goes: olive, almond, sesame, grapeseed, coconut. The smell of olive oil is overpowering to me so I use either grapeseed or sweet almond.
Put the sugar in a bowl and add oil slowly, stirring as you go. You want a consistency you can scoop with your hand so don’t let the texture to get too runny. Store in a container with tight fitting lid. You can easily double this recipe if you want to keep it on hand for awhile.
Now the fun part is adding in ‘extras.’ Lemon zest adds a fresh scent along with a dose of vitamin C and alpha hydroxy acids to help lighten skin imperfections and boost collagen production. And vanilla, well, it just smells good! You could also add 10 or so drops of vanilla essential oil.
Citrus Vanilla Sugar Scrub Recipe
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil like sweet almond, grapeseed or coconut
Zest of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Add sugar to a small bowl and pour in the oil until you have a crumbly texture that's not too runny to scoop with your hand.
Add the lemon zest and vanilla extract and stir together.
Store in a jar or container with a lid.
Apply with your hands, working in circular motions.
Rinse with warm water.
6 More Sugar Scrub Ideas
I perused the skin care aisle at Walgreens and came up with a few more fun ideas.
- Coconut Ginger: Use coconut oil for the base and add grated ginger.
- Orange Ginger: Add orange zest and grated ginger for an energy boost.
- Cucumber & Melon: Puree cucumber and melon together and add to mixture.
- Brown sugar & Warm honey: Replace the oil with 1/4 cup of warm honey. Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to get the right consistency.
- Lavender & Chamomile: Add a few drops of lavender essential oil along with chamomile essential oil for a soothing scrub before bedtime.
- Peppermint & Eucalyptus: Add a few drops of both essential oils for a great stress reliever.
Walk through the beauty aisle for inspiration. Or just look in your cupboard!16