Have you ever exfoliated your lips? Well, ladies (and gents), today is the day to raid the kitchen for a simple DIY sugar lip scrub. In under 5 minutes you can exfoliate dry skin and enjoy soft, kissable lips all day.
A lip scrub combines exfoliation with much needed moisture to keep lips softer longer, even in cold winter weather. So get on the lip scrub wagon with these homemade recipes and follow with a homemade lip balm.
Honey Sugar Lip Scrub
This recipe is a classic! A little honey combined with sugar and almond oil is all you need to moisturize and slough off dead skin. Here’s a recipe if you need it, but read on for the customizable lip scrub formula. There are endless ways to make a tasty sugar lip scrub.
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon almond oil
Mix everything together in a small bowl until you have a paste. Apply to lips with fingertips and massage into your lips to gently slough off dry, dead skin cells. You’ll be tempted to eat the mixture – it tastes pretty darn good! Rinse with warm water and follow with lip balm. Keep any extra in a small container.
Customizable Lip Scrub Formula
Add 1 teaspoon honey
Honey is the ultimate lip medicine. It soothes dry, chapped lips by drawing moisture from the air and into the skin. It also has tons of antioxidants and can bring relief to irritated lips because of a mild antiseptic effect speeds healing of small cuts or burns.
- Raw honey
- Manuka honey
Add 2 teaspoons sugar
Sugar in your beauty routine isn’t a no-no like in your diet. Sugar body scrubs are cheap and easy to make because the ingredients are already in almost every pantry. Plus, sugar is gentle enough to polish sensitive areas like the face and lips.
- Raw sugar
- Brown sugar
- Regular white sugar
Add 1 teaspoon oil
Add a bit of carrier oil to add moisture to your scrub and hydrate your lips. You only need a tiny amount so stick with basic oils like almond, olive or coconut.
- Almond oil
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
Optional extra add ins
You can’t go wrong sticking with just sugar and honey, but sometimes you want to get experimental in the beauty test kitchen. Here are a few add-in ideas to take your scrub to the next level of awesomeness.
- Add a dash of cinnamon or cayenne if you want to naturally ‘plump’ your lips. Start with a tiny, tiny amount because it’s easy to overdo it and wind up with irritated lips, which sort of defeats the purpose.
- If your lips are starting to get cracked and painful, open up a vitamin E capsule and add it to the scrub.
- Add a dash of cocoa powder for nourishing antioxidants and a bit of chocolate flavor.
- Mash a strawberry in there and the natural citric acid will help polish lips along with sugar. Plus you’ll get a dose of vitamin C to help combat signs of aging around your mouth. Not recommended if you have cracks in your lips as the citric acid will burn.
- Sprinkle in a 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice if your PSL craving has gotten out of hand.
- Make your scrub super edible with a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Yum!
This post was medically reviewed by Dr. Jennifer Haley, a board-certified dermatologist with extensive experience in medical, cosmetic and surgical dermatology. Learn more about Hello Glow’s medical review board here. As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor.
Photos by Ana Stanciu224