Crystals aren’t just for hippies—they’ve been used for ages to heal ailments and generally provide good vibes. (Okay, that does sound a little hippy :) Like essential oils, crystals have a variety of uses and applications, ranging from insomnia treatment to pain relief.
Some stones and crystals are said to align with our chakras (still with me?) and heal maladies in the associated areas of our bodies. Some can increase energy or bust a bad mood. Simply keeping crystals in your environment can do the trick, but you can also wear them (try making jewelry!) or place them on your body to harness their healing powers.
Here are the most common healing crystals and their meanings and uses for all sorts of purposes.
1. Onyx: Cleanses the air and rids your home of negative energy.
2. Quartz: Helps relieve stress and frustration, eases anxiety.
3. Amethyst: Helps relieve headaches and fatigue, promotes good dreams and good skin, supports bones, joints and the respiratory system.
4. Citrine: Use to boost concentration, boost memory and spark creativity.
5. Lapis Lazuli: A touted ancient migraine remedy, supports the immune system.
6. Opal: Increases inspiration and creativity, helps with PMS and headaches.
7. Topaz: Works to balance hormones and combat aging.
8. Aquamarine: Aids with acid reflux and gastrointestinal disorders.
9. Jade: Supports the adrenal glands and relieves headaches.
10. Garnet: Good for back pain, calcium deficiencies and tissue regeneration.
11. Bloodstone: Helps regulate blood pressure and supports the circulatory system. Good for colds.
12. Agate: Detoxifies, eases anxiety.
How to Use Your Crystals
Many people incorporate crystals into their meditation practices by resting a stone upon their yoga mat or near their meditation cushion, or by holding it in the cup of the hand when seated. They can also be laid upon the body when in a reclined meditation.
Crystals can also be carried with you throughout the day, in your pocket to be held when you need to feel calm or balanced, or as jewelry. Another common practice according to some of my crystal enthusiast friends is to wear your stone tucked inside of your bra—close to your heart and circulatory centre.
You can also use crystals to settle the environments around you. Keeping a positive energy stone in your car or at your desk at work can assist in keeping some heavier negative vibes at bay, and placing larger stones around your home can help to encourage the feelings of a healthy, balanced space. Place a clear crystal in the four corners of your home to encourage stability and protection.
When you first bring your crystals home, it’s a good idea to give them a good cleaning. You’ll also want to cleanse the crystals that absorb negative energy on a regular basis. Keep your stones dust free, and give them a wash in salt water if needed. Cleansing the accumulated energies of the stones can be done by placing them in a bowl of dry salt for a few hours, by setting them outside overnight under the high-octane energy of the full moon, or by smudging them with sage or palo santo smoke.
Whether you subscribe to the idea that crystals hold these superpowers or not, using stones that encourage positive emotional states and feelings of wellbeing could be seen more as a mindfulness practice. Whenever you reach into your pocket and feel the curve of your rose quartz, for example, you may be reminded that your heart is healing. When you feel the warm, round weight of the obsidian, you may be more open to receiving the message that you are supported and that you belong.930