Crystals aren’t just for hippies—they’ve been used for ages to heal ailments and generally provide good vibes. (Okay, that does sound a little hippy.) Like essential oils, crystals have a variety of uses and applications, ranging from insomnia treatment to pain relief.
12 Healing Crystals
Some stones and crystals are said to align with our 7 chakras (still with me?) and heal maladies in the associated areas of our bodies. They vibrate at frequencies similar to the body chakras, which helps to align their energy. Since crystals work in the energetic realm to adjust imbalances and heal, they can also increase your energy or bust a bad mood.
Simply keeping crystals in your environment can do the trick, but you can also wear them. Try making jewelry or place them on your body to harness their healing powers.
Here are the most common healing crystals along with their meanings and uses for all sorts of purposes.
1. Onyx: Cleanses the air and rids your home of negative energy. Associated with the root chakra, which is where your grounding energy resides. It promotes feelings of belonging and stability.
2. Quartz: Healing from the crown chakra, this clear crystal helps relieve stress and frustration, eases anxiety. Rose quartz is aligned with the heart chakra, used to encourage self-love and balancing energy to the heart.
3. Amethyst: The energy from this deep purple crystal emanates from the third eye chakra. Helps relieve headaches and fatigue, promotes good dreams and good skin, supports bones, joints, and the respiratory system.
Can also be used to aid in the health struggles related to chemical imbalances or addiction.
4. Citrine: Used to boost concentration, boost memory, and spark creativity. Very helpful for digestive, stomach, and kidney ailments. Its energy is aligned with the solar plexus chakra, also known as your fire center.
The associated struggles from an imbalance in this area center around anger, control, and fears of rejection.
5. Lapis Lazuli: This richly blue-hued stone, known as “the stone of truth,” works from the throat chakra to promote courage in speaking up. On the physical level, it has been touted as an ancient migraine remedy and also supports the immune system.
6. Opal: Increases inspiration and creativity, helps with PMS and headaches.
7. Topaz: Works to balance hormones and combat aging. Blue topaz vibrates with the energy from the throat chakra, helping with self-expression and clarity in communication. It helps with issues related to the throat, neck, and voice.
8. Aquamarine: Aids with acid reflux and gastrointestinal disorders.
9. Jade: This stone brings the energy of purity and tranquility. Supports the adrenal glands and relieves headaches.
10. Garnet: Promoting healing from the root chakra, this gem is good for back pain and sciatica. It is also known for tissue regeneration and balancing calcium deficiencies.
11. Bloodstone: Helps regulate blood pressure and supports the circulatory system. Good for colds. It also helps with general body aches and pains.
12. Agate: The energy from this stone quietly helps to balance your thoughts and calm the nerves, bringing peace and tranquility into your environment. Also detoxifies and eases anxiety.
How to Use Your Crystals
Many people incorporate crystals into their meditation practices by resting a stone upon their yoga mat or near their meditation cushion, or by holding it in the cup of the hand when seated. Gems can also be laid upon the body when in a reclined meditation.
Crystals can be carried in a pouch with you throughout the day, in your pocket to be held when you need to feel calm or balanced, or as jewelry.
Another common practice, according to some of my crystal enthusiast friends, is to wear your stone on a necklace or tucked inside of your bra—close to your heart and circulatory center. You may choose to carry the stone on or near the associated chakra or area of your body that needs attention to focus its healing power.
You can also use crystals to settle the environments around you. Keeping a positive energy stone in your car or at your desk at work can assist in keeping some heavier negative vibes at bay.
And placing larger stones around your home can help promote the feelings of a healthy, balanced space. Place a clear crystal in each of the four corners of your home to encourage stability and protection.
When you first bring your crystals home, it’s a good idea to give them a good cleaning. You’ll also want to cleanse the crystals that absorb negative energy on a regular basis.
Keep your stones dust-free, and give them a wash in salt water if needed. Cleansing the accumulated energies of the stones can be done by placing them in a bowl of dry salt for a few hours, by setting them outside overnight under the high-octane energy of the full moon, or by smudging them with sage or palo santo smoke.
Whether you subscribe to the idea that crystals hold these superpowers or not, using stones that encourage positive emotional states and feelings of wellbeing could be seen more as a mindfulness practice. They can help to bring positive thoughts into your mind and a focus on certain imbalances of thought that translate out to your energy patterns.
Choose stones that relate to concepts you are working on. Whenever you reach into your pocket and feel the curve of your rose quartz, for example, you may be reminded that your heart is healing and direct your thoughts accordingly.
When you feel the warm, round weight of the onyx, you may be more open to receiving the message that you are supported and that you belong.
Want more crystal power?
Check out these posts on getting started with crystals and adding them to your beauty routine!
- Crystal Healing 101: 5 Crystals To Get You Started
- 3 Ways To Add Healing Crystals To Your Beauty Routine
- How To Make a Crystal Grid for Healing + Wellness
This article was medically reviewed by Dr. Gina Jansheski, a licensed, board-certified physician who has been practicing for more than 20 years. Learn more about Hello Glow’s medical reviewers here. As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor.483