I splurged on a beauty box subscription last year. The best part was opening the box and discovering new, cool products. I’d haul them into my bathroom, determined to use them. But it turns out that I’m not so good at experimenting because having unused products sitting on my counter stressed me out. A few made the cut and became a regular part of my skincare routine. My favorite addition? A jade roller.
What is a jade roller?
When I got it out of the box, I had no idea what it was (fyi, this is the roller I use). Eventually I learned that jade rollers were commonly used in the beauty rituals of Chinese royalty going back centuries. The beauty benefits include boosting circulation, tightening pores and fighting fine lines.
To be honest, I started rolling my face because it felt good. It’s like a quick facial massage. But that massage has the benefit of helping to drain the lymphatic system and reduce facial puffiness. The jade stone is cool on the skin, which makes it perfect for stimulating your skin and waking you up in the morning. The rollers are depuffing powerhouses that increase blood circulation, improve elasticity of the skin, and reduce dark under eye circles.
The beautiful green stone has long been a symbol of peace, harmony and beauty. Jade jewelry is often worn to bring the energy from nature and Earth to revitalize and recharge your aura. Quartz rollers are popular, too.
Used on the face, jade is said to draw out blocked, negative energy and help balance your chi, or energy. According to Energy Muse, “the jade roller for the face stimulates the meridian points of the face, which are energy lines that connect to our internal systems. When you touch the jade gemstones to these points, it energizes them. It also connects these points on the face to earth energy, something we aren’t often able to do.”
Right. Doesn’t that sound good? Even if you’re not totally sure what it means!
How do you use a jade roller?
A jade roller is most effective when used with your favorite skin serum, oil or mist because it helps the moisturizer fully absorb into the skin. It’s a simple process. Here’s a quick rundown of the technique.
- Start by applying the product to your face. Add more while rolling if needed.
- Then pick one side of your face to start with. Put the roller in the middle of your forehead and roll outward and toward your ear. The roller is moving lymphatic fluid to the ears or collarbone, which are the two drainage points.
- Continue rolling on the same side of the face, starting each time from the center. Use the small stone to roll outward around your eyes and down your nose (this helps move out congestion if you have sinus issues). Continue to roll outward from your nose, lips and chin.
- When you get down to your jawline and neck, push outward and then down toward the collarbone.
- Repeat on the other side of your face, starting again in the middle of the forehead.
A few things to note: You don’t need to apply pressure, and you shouldn’t roll back and forth. Keep rolling for a couple of minutes and let your oil or serum fully absorb. Five minutes is recommended, but I’m too impatient for that.
You can roll daily or as often as you want. To clean a jade roller, wipe it down with a wet cloth and let it dry. Don’t submerge it in water.
For a super cooling treat, store the roller in the fridge. The chilled stone will instantly perk up your face!
This post was medically reviewed by Dr. Jennifer Haley, a board-certified dermatologist with extensive experience in medical, cosmetic and surgical dermatology. Learn more about Hello Glow’s medical review board here. As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor.96