After a long day, I crave a hot shower to help me unwind. Those few minutes of alone time help me process the day’s events and reset. I don’t usually have time for a long, luxurious bath, so a quick shower does the trick. Aromatherapy works wonders when you’re feeling tired or stressed out. I use essential oils all the time for the purpose, and these simple shower tablets are perfect for de-stressing, relaxation and rejuvenation.
Lavender and chamomile blossoms both offer calming, soothing benefits on their own and adding essential oils provides even more benefits. Here’s a break down of what different essentials oil can do. Use a few drops of each, or pick and choose your favorites for a unique blend. Some oils also have anti-inflammatory and healing benefits, perfect when you’re fighting off an illness.
Essential Oils for Stress Relief
- Cedar Wood – calming, soothing, sleep-promoting
- Bergamot – uplifting, relaxing
- Lavender – calming
- Rosemary – uplifting, increases concentration, mental acuity
- Lemon – refreshing, mental alertness, calming
- Peppermint – revitalizing, cooling, invigorating
- Eucalyptus – clarifying
Assemble ingredients. These tablets are super easy and inexpensive to make – you only need baking soda, essential oils, dried lavender and chamomile, if you have some on hand.
Grind chamomile and lavender blossoms. Then combine chamomile and lavender with baking soda.
Add enough water so the baking soda holds together in clumps, but the mixture isn’t the least bit runny.
Press into small decorative pans or silicone molds. One to two tablespoons is enough. Bake to dry out the tablets. Preheat oven to 350°F and bake the tablets for about 15-20 minutes. When they come out of the oven, they may be a little damp still, but they will continue to dry out as they cool.
Add a few drops of each essential oil to the top of the tablets and let sit for a bit to absorb the oils. Transfer to a jar and store until ready to use. Note: I did have a little trouble getting the tablets out of the metal molds, so I opted to leave them in for easier storage. The ones I formed in silicone molds popped right out.
DIY: De-stress Shower Tablets
De-Stress Aromatherapy Shower Tablets with Essential Oils
- 2 cups baking soda
- 2 tablespoon dried chamomile leaves or chamomile tea, optional
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender buds, optional
- 1/2 cup water, plus a little more if needed
- Essential oils - cedar wood, bergamot, lavender, rosemary, lemon, peppermint, eucalyptus
- Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind lavender and chamomile until finely ground; combine with baking soda.
- Add just enough water to make a paste that holds together without being soupy or runny. Pack into small molds.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and bake the molds for 15-20 minutes. Remove and let cool completely. The tablets will continue drying as they cool.
- Sprinkle the tablets with the essential oils and allow to soak in. Transfer to a jar and store until ready to use. If using silicone molds, the tablets will be easier to pop out.
- Alternatively, combine the lavender, chamomile and baking soda. Stir in 10-20 drops each of the essential oils. Do not add water. Transfer the dry mix to an airtight jar and sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of the powder on the bottom of the shower and turn on the hot water. Can also be added to bath water.