For this week’s Home Spa Saturday, it’s time to talk hair. If you’ve enjoyed a summer in the sun, your hair is probably feeling the effects. Even if you’re diligent about pool hair care, the chlorine and salt draw out moisture, leaving hair dry and brittle. Now that we’re heading into fall and back-to-school, it’s time to repair those tresses with a DIY deep hair conditioner using our favorite beauty ingredient: coconut oil!
I found this recipe from the folks at doTerra and adapted it a bit for my family’s hair. I like the combination of shea with coconut oil, rather than using olive oil. And of course, you can massage coconut oil directly onto the ends of hair for a fast leave-in conditioner. (Works especially well when you can’t even get a comb through your kid’s tangled mass of hair.)
For a more intense conditioner, this hair mask adds tons of moisture, and it’s worth the extra few minutes to melt the oils together and whip it into a creamy texture, which makes it easy to apply.
You probably already know that coconut oil can pretty much do anything. Argan oil is great for controlling frizz and adding shine to dull hair. Shea butter not only adds moisture and shine, but can also help remedy dandruff and dry scalp. This is serious conditioning!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 1 teaspoon Argan oil
- A few drops of essential oil (good ones for hair are lavender, peppermint, rosemary, geranium and clary sage)
- Melt coconut oil and shea butter together in microwave or double broiler (I find a Pyrex measuring cup in a saucepan of hot water works well.)
- Let mixture cool slightly then add Argan oil.
- Whip together for 3-5 minutes.
- Comb through clean, dry hair and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse hair and shampoo as normal.