Why do some people seem to get bitten by mosquitoes more than others? Do different people really taste better? If so, my son Henry must be delicious because that boy gets more bug bites than anyone I’ve ever seen.
With all of my son’s bug bites, I have learned that you don’t need a drugstore cream to relieve itchy mosquito bites. Instead, try making your own calamine lotion or using ingredients already in your kitchen. Home remedies like honey, baking soda, lavender oil and witch hazel are natural skin soothers – and far less expensive!
Homemade Calamine Lotion
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon bentonite clay
- Enough water or witch hazel to form a paste
- 5 drops each lavender, chamomile & peppermint essential oils
Combine dry ingredients and slowly add water/witch hazel until a paste forms. Apply to bug bites for relief.
10 More Natural Bug Bite Itch Relief Remedies
2. Raid the kitchen: Apply a slice of lemon or rub the inside of a banana peel to irritated skin.
3. Apple cider vinegar. Of course. Soak a cotton ball with ACV and rub directly on areas that itch.
4. Don’t have clay? Just make a paste with baking soda and water to get rid of annoying itches.
6. Honey, the ultimate healer, can also soothe itchy bites. Dab a tiny bit of raw honey on irritated areas to moisturize dry, itchy skin and take the sting out of the redness.
7. Using aloe topically fights inflammation, which makes it a great choice to battle bites. It reduces swelling and redness and also has bacteria-fighting properties to keep skin clear and healthy. Try this Summer Lotion with Calendula + Aloe
8. Used tea bags can provide skin-healing relief. A cool used tea bag from chamomile or green tea has anti-inflammatory properties.
9. Witch hazel with jojoba and essential oils makes an excellent natural bug spray. But if you do get bitten, witch hazel can also relieve the pain and inflammation from bee stings, bug bites, and poison ivy and poison oak. Soak a cotton ball and then apply to bite area or rash.
10. Oats are rich in compounds that reduce swelling, redness and itching. A soothing oatmeal bath can kick-start the healing of bite-ridden skin.
What natural bug bite itch relief creams do you use to relieve the summer bummers?49